Thursday, December 18, 2008

Sad Day! :(

Early Wednesday morning Jamie, Martin, and Dylan finally got here! I was so excited to finally see them, and Dylan is absolutely adorable! Yesterday happened to be my birthday too, so we spent the day visiting with Jamie and Martin and playing with Dylan. My other sisters came down too, and we ate a birthday dinner that was pretty fantastic. :) When everything settled down and my sisters had loaded up the kids and headed home we went to bed. I slept on the couch, and I was sleeping fantastically until approximately 5:56 am......

I woke up to my parents, Jamie, and Martin yelling Dylan's name. I jumped right off the couch and saw my sister sobbing, my mom running around the front room, my dad calling 911, and my brother-in-law holding a VERY pale baby. Talk about a way to start out the day! Dylan was completely unresponsive and limp, and I honestly thought he was dead. Before I knew it my entire family had run out the door to get him to the hospital. :( I was so confused, worried, scared and sad--I obviously couldn't get back to sleep!

The phone finally rang and I almost broke a few bones trying to get to it. I answered it as calmy as possible, and it was Martin. He sounded really upset, but told me that Dylan was at least responsive now, but they were trying to figure out what was wrong with him. I felt a little bit relieved, but not really.....

A couple hours later they came back, and Dylan seemed perfectly normal--he took a nap, then was playing with toys in the front room, eating pears and chips, and making cute baby noises. We were all just watching him. The doctors told Jamie and Martin that they thought he had a seizure, but they were uncertain of the cause. It was so weird! My dad went back to work and my mom took my little brother to a doctor's appointment.

Martin was playing with Dylan, and all of a sudden it was happening again. :( Dylan went pale, his body went limp, his eyes rolled back in his head, and he was unresponsive again. We immediately loaded in my minivan and I sped to the hospital, running every stop sign on the way. The icy roads were NOT helpful! We spent a long time there, where the doctors did bloodwork, took a CT scan of his head, and even did a spinal tap. All the tests came back clear. Poor Dylan!

Russell and I waited in the waiting room for an hour or so, but they were still working on him and Jamie came and told me that we might as well go home because it could be several hours until we knew anything. She promised to call if she had any news though. Then, around 1:50, my nephew was sent in an ambulance up to Primary Children's Hospital. About 10 minutes later Martin headed off in my minivan to meet Jamie and Dlyan up at the hospital. Can I just say that this is definately not how we thought our day would go. :( My heart hurts and I'm so worried! The end.

No comments: