Thursday, October 29, 2009

Google is AMAZING!

Sorry…this is another dorm story. That’s kind of my life right now!


Last Friday night Russell and I were on duty, which means that we were awake with our door open until 1:00 am. I had big plans to teach a girl how to make homemade turkey-shaped rolls on Saturday morning, so my head hit the pillow shortly after our apartment door closed. Russell stayed awake until about 2:30 watching some movie that was on TV. Silly Russell.


Anyway…I woke up early Saturday morning to make the rolls and just when I was rolling the dough there was pounding on the door. I went to see what was going on, and found a very tired-looking girl leaning against the candy machine. I asked her what was wrong and she told me that her toilet wouldn’t quit flushing. First the toilets aren’t being flushed, and now they won’t stop? WHAT?!


I walked down to her room with her, and sure enough, her toilet was flushing continuously! I’d never seen anything like it! It was splashing all over the place and had apparently been flushing since about 3:00 am. She’d tried to wake us up, but we didn’t hear her.


I immediately tried to turn the water off, but this was no ordinary toilet—instead of a tank it just has a pipe in the wall. Weird! I put in a call to maintenance but no one answered. I then called the guy in charge and he told me that if we couldn’t find someone from the maintenance department then it would have to wait until Monday.


The idea of waiting until Monday was completely unacceptable to me! I had girls coming and complaining every five minutes that they didn’t have any hot water. Russell didn’t know how to fix it either, so my internet search began…


Before too long I was able to find instructions on how to fix a toilet. I wish you could have seen Russell’s face when I pulled out our little red toolbox and headed down the hall! :)


A few minutes later I had the water turned off and the toilet working again. I was one proud girl! I’ve thought a lot about it, and I think that maybe I should be a plumber instead of a preschool teacher…


The overall moral of this story is that Google is amazing and can teach you how to do great things!

1 comment:

Jennifer Gardner said...

Way to go, you're my hero!